Friday, November 03, 2006

Where's the Beef?

I have yet to find a place here in California that makes an authentic Italian Beef sandwich. Although, a Portillo's recently opened up in LA but it's quite a drive. Italian Beef was a staple back in Chicago. You could go to just about any restaurant and it would be on the menu. I am having a craving for one right now. Last time I was back home I had to take a picture of my Italian Beef sandwich before I devoured it in a matter of minutes. I still refer to this photo often when the craving hits. After living here for over a year and after Tom and I had searched high and low all over S. California for a REAL Italian Beef sandwich, we just couldn't take it anymore. He decides to order a GIANT vat of Beef, sauce and rolls from the old Portillo's in Chicago. It arrived just in time for the holidays. We made pots of the beef and just went to town. I ate 2 gigantic sandwiches and was in heaven, eventhough I almost burst. Later that night when I was trying to sleep my stomach started to churn and gurgle. I got up just in time to make it to the toilet where I spewed out the entire contents of my stomach. Tom told me, "I told you so. I don't know who you think you were trying to stuff in those 2 huge beefs." He was right but I just couldn't help myself. I was sick the following day and couldn't keep anything down. But if I had to do it all over again I would.

No comments: