Monday, April 16, 2007



For those who ask why we are in no hurry to have children-

Well, sadly here is one reason...

  • VA TECH SCHOOL MASSACRE

  • How can a parent deal with something like this? You would think that if your child has made it to college age, that your worries for their safety at school would lessen. But I guess not. How does a mother and a father cope with losing their child in this senseless and most horrific way? I just don't get it. How do you protect your children from something like this happening to them? I guess you never can. How can you protect them from predators on the internet, a pedophile in the neighborhood, or a pervert teacher that preys on young adolescents? Not to mention their own peers who may be involved with drugs and gangs. It's just too overwhelming for my simple mind to comprehend. I give credit to every mother and father out there and I admire the strength and optimism you all have for bringing up children in the world we live in today. It's something I honestly don't think I could do.

    3 comments:

    Peter said...

    I can identify... well, being single and no kids, that's easy enough. But I can still imagine, that the better your nurturing instincts, the harder it would be to let your child, that which you have nurtured, out into a world where something like this can happen. Still, I have have a sister who has raised two wonderful kids who are growing up to be wonderful adults, and it makes one think that fate can be on one's side, sometimes. On the other hand, my brother has also brought up two wonderful kids... one of whom is now a marine stationed in Iraq. As parents, each is happy in his or her own way. Anyway, whether to have kids in a world where this kind of thing can happen is a big philosophical decision... but don't let disturbed people make that decision for you.

    Anonymous said...

    The emotional gamit of raising a child is unbounded....from the most joy of joys to the nightmare of worries. I think I worry more now that she is 18 that I did when she was little....maybe...or maybe I just don't remember. Having my daughter (later in life) is something that I never will regret. It gave to me strength, happiness, and adventures that I never would've encountered or thought that I could experience. You need to make your own decision. I think you know how I would try to influence you, though. :) I agree with Peter, you cannot let the actions of disturbed people guide your decisions. Love ya!

    Anonymous said...

    I have no idea how anyone could survive the loss of their child. I don't think I could.