Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Mom-isms

Again more mom-isms to share...

My mom and sister spent the night with me last night and we slept in a little late. This morning at breakfast my sister says, "Oh I think I missed Ashton Kutcher on Regis and Kelly this morning." My mom says, "I watched part of it when the Bare Breasted Women were on." My sister and I start cracking up and ask, "WHO?!?" She says, "That music band I know you've heard of them." We think for a minute and then say at the same time, "You mean the Bare Naked Ladies???" My mom says, "Yes, isn't that what I said?"

Then here's a gem my sister shared at the breakfast table from the other night. My mom asked her in all seriousness while they were watching something on TV, "If you wanted to Tibo something could you put it on YouToo??" My sister couldn't even answer the question, she was laughing so hard. But I will give my mom some credit on this one. That's a pretty good question!

And while we were on the subject my sister also shared a Baba-ism (Baba is our 92 year old grandmother on my Dad's side). She and Baba were talking about Baba's old neighborhood in Connecticut and Baba asked her if she remembered a specific person who lived down the street. She asked, "Does that name ring a doorbell?"

I'm sure I'll be adding to this list as the week continues.

(previous Mom-isms from an old post)
We hired a contractor to do some work on our side yard and he goes by the name of Concrete Dave (he specializes in concrete walls). So today my mom wanted to know if everything was finished and asked, "Is Cement Sam coming back to do more work in the yard?"

She was visiting family in Pittsburgh and she called my cousin Emma's i-pod a bluebird. Of course my cousin had to text me this one right away, and we're both cracking up via text (which by the way my mom calls a "tek" message. Now if she means tech message than that's pretty impressive but I think she thinks it's tek with a "k". I don't even correct her on this anymore.) So again today only minutes between the Cement Sam comment, I asked my mom, "How the heck could you mistake the i-pod for a bluebird?? That's not even close!" And then she tells me, "Ohhh wait a second, no, no...the bluebird is not the i-pod that plays music, you're right. I'm talking about the bluebird that Tom has, you know...that THING I'm talking about!?!? It's like a cell phone but he can e-mail from it, tek message, you know????" I then say, "Um, do you mean a Blackberry?" And then she gets all excited and says proudly, "Yes! That's the one. See? I knew what I was talking about!" I guess she did, sort of.

(some more oldies)
"Are you going to tibo The Office tonight?"

"I love reading the stories about Wrigley and Chumley on your blob."

"Don't forget to watch Dancing on the Stars tonight. Julio Iglesias will be on." (this one's a gem 'cuz it's a double whammy - of course she means Enrique!)

One of my favorite Mom-isms happened several years ago when she was Christmas shopping for my husband and ex-brother-in-law. She went to Toys R Us to be placed on a waiting list for two Play Station II systems. Once they finally came in she went to pick them up, waited in a LONG line at the service counter and when it was her turn she handed over her claim ticket and said, "I'm here to pick up Two Play Boys." That was the same year she bought Tom Grand Theft Auto, thinking it was just a car racing game. Gotta love that!

I could go on with these but I'm not sure my mom would be happy about that. This is just one of the many things that we all love about her. And Mom, if you happen to read this entry on my blob, please don't be mad, ok? I love you!!!

13 comments:

Christina said...

Moms are THE best. If you haven't seen this "YouChoob" video, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqrfYNCvHSE

Me said...

I've seent his before, hey didn't you post it on your blob? That's where I've seen it!

Mom's are great, even tho we have to poke fun at them from time to time.

Christina said...

Oh. I've got another one for you. A friend of mine's mom is Iranian and English is her second language. We were in high school and planned on going out to dinner together to a local burger joint, which the mother matter-of-factly referred to as "Mother F*ckers." Um. It was Fudruckers.

Anonymous said...

Your mom is adorable.

Gberger said...

Once again, you have made my day with your humor.
My friends and I have wondered if our parents are somehow related to Seinfeld's parents. We wouldn't say they were like Costanza's, but there is some likeness to Morty & Helen, especially among the "snowbirds" who go south for the winter. Thanks for the laughs today!

lizziebelle said...

in high school i came home and found my mom crying in front of the television. i asked her what was wrong and she said

"this whole east coast west coast rap rivalry is terrible. did you see when ta-pook and the notorious big's mothers presented that award? it was so sad!!"

ChiTown Girl said...

Thanks, I needed that!!

There are certain words that my mom can't say to save her life! One is funeral, she says fruneral. She always refers to celery as salary. ALWAYS! She says shedual instead of schedule. I could go on, but I simply don't have time in shedual right now!

ChiTown Girl said...

OK, after reading this again, I realized I shouldn't have been so quick to jump on the "Let's make fun of Mom" bandwagon. I'm sure Lex could write paragraphs about me on this subject. I can't get anything right, at least according to him, about anything that is "cool" these days. I, admittedly, always get the names wrong of characters from movies/games/shows that he enjoys. I'm sure there's plenty more he would tell you, but I'm gonna leave it at that!

Suzanne said...

SOOO funny!
Mom's say the darndest things.....
I love my tibo too.

Anonymous said...

My sister and I have had so many laughs on this same subject with our own mom...nice to hear that we aren't the only two "smart alec" kids around who laugh at their mom.
Just to add an all time favorite of my own mom-ism (because they're so much fun)...
** I hope neither of you girls are on the pot ** translation-hope you're not smoking pot.

Justin said...

Your Mother nearly just got me in trouble - I was reading this at work and laughed out loud reading the "Blue Bird" part - classic. Has she ever thought of writing her own blog?

yanmaneee said...

supreme clothing
yeezy boost
authentic jordans
longchamp outlet
kobe 9
kd13
kobe shoes
ferragamo belt
curry shoes
balenciaga shoes

meathen said...

k5c05r9i07 l9c99j9g96 x1a96h5i68 n1n77y9s12 e8n86w2f65 x7x86r5r11