Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Constant Gardener

Gosh, it sure is late outside. Who's that in our yard? Is it a prowler? A burglar?? A peeping TOM???


Let's get a closer look. Well, it's Tom all right but he doesn't seem to be peeping (at least not tonight.) So what's he doing??? It's almost midnight for Pete's sake!


Oh, I see...he's laying sod. Yeah, that makes sense. The sod had been delivered earlier in the day and he had just returned home from Europe that same evening and didn't want to waste a second. Does the phrase "he certainly doesn't let grass grow under his feet" apply here? Yes, I think it does.



Now, I love my husband dearly and if it wasn't for him, I probably would have nothing to write about on this blog, but really, did he have to use a floor lamp to light this project? I'm convinced our neighbors think we're on crack.



I started snapping some pics using the flash which helped to shed more light so Tom could make sure he was matching up the pieces. Then as I watched the expressions on the faces of those driving by, I burst into fits of giggles and couldn't contain myself. We are seriously "that crazy couple" in the neighborhood.



Tom was not in a laughing mood (just click on pic #2 and enlarge to see his face) so I decided to snap some photos of our faithful companion on the other side of the fence. There he was watching us from afar, looking somewhat embarrassed. Can you blame him?!?



I just about had my fill of excitement when all of a sudden a LOUD buzzing creature of the night flew right passed my head. I wasn't sure if it was a beetle, or a hummingbird or maybe even a bat?? But it did leave a nice juicy splat of it's fecal matter on my shorts. Thanks!



I screamed, then ran into the garage convulsing and I hear Tom say to himself, "That's what you get for laughing!" Whatever. Why is it that he's out there for 3 hours and I pop out for 5 minutes yet I'm the one to get shit on? Or whenever we do yard work together (in the daylight hours) I'm always the one to get stung by a bee or sit in the middle of a colony of fire ants. Or discover a rotting rat carcass along the side of the house. Although I'm convinced he saw it first and just sat back and waited for me to find it. I'll spare you all that photo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your husband works harder than anyone I know.

Me said...

Yes he is but I wish he'd work during the daylight hours.