Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Taps for the 'top

So my lap top may have sat upon it's last lap. I've made an appt tomorrow at the Apple store with a Mac Genius to take a look and see if there's any hope for a recovery. I'm still optimistic that it just may be the battery but there have some been other screwball quirks that have randomly occurred in the last week so I'm preparing for the worst. (Gosh, sounds like I'm talking about a family member on the eve of exploratory surgery.)

I'm posting this on my GARGANTUAN vintage i-mac (cir.1982, ok more like 2003, but by today's standards that's ANCIENT!) so I'll keep this short since this thing operates at a much slower speed and the keyboard tends to stick a little (one too many spilled lattes.) Modern technology never ceases to amaze me but at the same time I'd like to ween myself away from my dependence to it. I think being without a lap top for a few days affords me that opportunity whether I like it or not.

Which brings me to today's thought...

If you had to give up one of the following modern conveniences for ONE week, which would it be?

a) TELEVISION (not even youtube clips, sorry!)

b) RADIO / iPod, (this includes any sort of listening device, so NO MUSIC for one week.)

c) PHONE (home phone and cell phone, including text messaging, but can be used to dial 911 in case of emergency)

d) COMPUTER/BLACKBERRY (aside from everyday work use but would include all personal e-mail, internet use, video games, etc.)

I'm curious to see what people will say. This is a no brainer for me, it would have to be TV. Actually I'm thinking I could add this to my random experiments list. Any one else interested in coming along for the ride? I wonder how many days I could go without grabbing for that remote. Wait a second, before I commit to this I better double check the guide for any upcoming Enrique appearances.

BRB

13 comments:

Najia said...

I would LOVE to give up my cell phone. I actually never wanted one to begin with. I didn't get my first cell until mid-2002 and that was only because work absolutely required me to do so.

As for TV, HELL NO!!! Especially now that the new season of "My Boys" is back!

Anonymous said...

I would gladly give up my cell phone as well. I don't know how to text message and I have Sprint service so I never have a signal anyway!! But I still would want to use my home phone so I guess I can't live w/o a phone.

I guess it would have to be the radio then.

Me said...

I'd like to post my husbands answer to this because he doesn't like to comment on here. I quote him:

"I would gladly give up phone, radio/ipod, and computer for one week but I could NOT live without TV."

Why don't we be more specific. Tom CANNOT live without channel 323, the GOLF channel. We are now in discussions over a little bet. I bet him he can't live without his computer for a week (he's addicted to Ebay) and he bet me no tv. Starting Monday, we're on!

Anonymous said...

this is tough! Not my computer or my tv for sure. maybe the radio? But what would I do for long drives in LA traffic??

Peter said...

Easy answer. I don't have cable, and the television hasn't been turned on for months. I live in a world of books. The box in the corner of my apartment is just a piece of furniture I never use.

Anonymous said...

C. I already gave up my home phone so it would just be the cell phone. I don't use it much anyway but since I could still use it in emergencies, it would be easy to live without.

Barbara D.

Anonymous said...

I would give up TV. In fact I already have, which is why my friends and I just stare at each other in silence a lot now.

If I had to give up other luxuries I would fade away into anonymity.

Also, I want everyone to know that Laura's computer laptop crashed because she downloaded vulgar pictures such as hairy areas of the human body and hairy posteriors of animals and skin rashes conditions and STDs.

Anonymous said...

ok ok I am sorry about saying those horrible things on your blog Laura. Even though they are true and I edited the really nasty bits, I shouldnt have publicized details of your bizarre ornery toilet humor fetish.

Christina said...

Easy. Radio/Music.

Anonymous said...

I would give up the computer because I don't have one.

Anonymous said...

Also radio/mp3 for me. The others I could not live without, even for one day!

Anonymous said...

I would give up the phones....I hate all those telemarketers!!

Anonymous said...

Well, in my "real life," if I HAD to pick one, it would have to be phone(s). In my "summer vacation life" it could easily be the TV and/or computer. When I took Lex to Italy, we went without both for 7 weeks, and it didn't even phase us. Of course, spending 12 hours a day at the beach outside my parents' villa made that much easier! We used the phone a lot to keep in touch with all those not lucky enough to be with us ;-) I almost never turn off my music, so that would have to be my very last sacrifice. I could never live without my music! If I could only HAVE one of the four, hands down, it would be music.