Friday, August 31, 2007

What makes your day?

Most mornings when I walk the lake I pass this senior gentleman who always greets me with the biggest smile along with a hearty "HELLO!" and energetic wave. It just makes my day and keeps me smiling. I've often wanted to capture this on film (not wanting to appear too obvious) but today when I saw him coming I had to grab for my phone. I snapped a quick photo without really aiming and as you can see here he comes BIG smile and all with the arm in motion for that wave!



Seeing this man's exuberance for life at the start of each day reminds me of a quote from Edith Warton's autobiography A Backward Glance (one of my summer reads)

"In spite of illness, in spite even of the archenemy sorrow, one can remain alive long past the usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things, and happy in small ways."

Words to live by. Perhaps even my new motto. Sends a much better internal message than "I'm an idiot" don't you agree?

No comments: