Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Blast from the Past

I need to lighten up on the cough meds because I fell asleep on the couch and dreamt about the "Come Back Can". Do any 30-40 somethings remember this??? It was a science type activity for kids on the PBS show Electric Company back in the 70's-80's.

I found an updated version of the can on this site. Be warned, the guy demonstrating the can has WAY too much energy. Back in the day I made my can out of a big coffee tin and really enjoyed playing with it for days at a time. Could you imagine giving this to an 8 year old today? Yeah, I don't think so.

So I "youtubed" Electric Company and found the opening credits (recognize anyone? Yep, it's Morgan Freeman!) I used to LOVE when this show came on and I'd scream at the top of my lungs, "HEY YOU GUUUUUUUYYYYYSSSS" right along with them. Youtube also had one of my FAVORITE segments (again featuring Mr. Freeman.)

For those of you old enough to remember, I hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane. For those of you who don't I'm sorry because you really missed out on some interactive, educational TV. If it wasn't for this show I probably still wouldn't be able to read.

3 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

oh my God!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post!! The Electric Company was my favorite show of all time when I was a kid. I have been searching for years for the series on videotape so that I could share it with my babies. There's a newer show that comes pretty close to The Electric Company, but since you don't have little ones, you've probably never seen it. It's called In Between The Lions. LOVE IT!!! You should look it up while you're still in your sick bed ;-)

Anonymous said...

OMG! I'm right there w/ ya Chitown! This was also my favorite show as a kid and I have been checking obsessively for DVDs or Video cassettes of the show. I didn't even think about you tube! TY TY TY for this!

Anonymous said...

Ewwww, did you notice how dirty his nasty fingernails were?! Gag.