Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A couple more Momisms...

Tonight at dinner my mom asked the waiter, "Is there steak in the flat iron steak salad?" The waiter looked at her like she had 3 heads but answered politely with, "Yes. I believe there is."

There was a recent drug bust in my sister's town where some hoodlums actually took up residence in a vacant house and started making crystal meth. My sister was giving us the details on the situation and my mom said, "Those are swatters." (she meant squatters.) And then on a separate occasion my sister was talking about a friend who is trying to get these "swatters" kicked out and my mom asked, "Are these the people with the Mets Lab?" Though there is such a thing and it's not baseball related. Check out the Mets Lab affiliated with the University of Chicago hospital. Perhaps she heard of this while discussing molecular genetics and cell biology with some friends.

I must say some of these momisms are starting to rub off on me. Tonight we were deciding on where to go out to dinner and I said, "How about Oprah's?" (meant to say Opah's.) Though it's not funny when I say it.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Small world. We ate at Opah (in Irvine) tonight. Deeeelish.

Suzanne said...

Funny!
Your Mom is very entertaining.
Good thing you are writing this down....

Gberger said...

I think it gets funnier as you get older...and it's probably better when it's not you listening to yourself say it. Your mom sounds like such fun.
I am glad to learn the difference between the Mets, the Mets LAB and a METH lab. Please thank your mom for me! I feel so much smarter now, after just visiting the Mets lab website.
Hugs to you.

Mary Beth said...

I think the Mets Lab is where they should send the Mets when they get too broken (i.e. Moises Alou) and then they will come back better than ever (hopefully):-) Introducing your new and enhanced Mets!!!