Monday, May 05, 2008

Tom

If it wasn't for that guy in the picture, I really don't know where I'd be. Yes he makes me crazy with his golf obsession, yes he leaves his shoes everywhere, yes he can be a grumpy guy from time to time and believe me we've had our share of what I will politely refer to as "disconnects" but as we are approaching our 10 year wedding anniversary, I've never felt more in love with him than I do right this very moment.

In honor of our upcoming anniversary, I'd like to share our first dance song from our wedding. We had the Jeffrey Osbourne version which I couldn't find on youtube, but it's really the lyrics that hit us both the first time we heard it and realized it was the perfect song. And now when we listen to it after 10 years these words take on a much deeper meaning and are filled with our own irreplaceable history.

By the way, Tom already told me what he's getting me for this blessed event. A 6 roll toilet paper dispenser similar to this but hopefully not in the shape of a cross. That would be sac religious. He also mentioned that he's looking into the i-robot Scoobas. I told him not to even joke about such an atrocity unless he wants his wife to end up rocking and drooling in the corner of a padded cell. He actually had to think about this for a minute.

But, he did say if we make it another 10 years he'll turn our guest bath into my personal home office. No doubt, I'm sticking around.

11 comments:

Najia said...

Oh my God, Laura, we loooove that song.

Gosh, I have to believe that we have lived parallel lives somewhere and in some other time.

I am feeling the love, my tiny friend...totally and completely.

Remember, it's the "in between years" that serve to cement it all. You make it through those, you can make it through anything.

I love you guys so much. I wish you were closer to our house...we could have shared some Cinco de Mayo spirits and swapped Tom/Ed stories.

Thinking of you both with much affection....

Me said...

There must be something in this S. Cal air because I just read your post from earlier today about your Belov-Ed! You guys are so meant to be together.

We're looking forward to seeing you both on the 17th!

ChiTown Girl said...

Aww...happy anniversary my sweet friend! How weird that we would have such polar opposite posts today. I'm so happy that you two are still so happy and in love after all these years. The best is yet to come!

The Engine of the Family said...

You guys are so adorable, I love spending time with you and seeing how cute you are together! Happy Anniversary!

Unknown said...

That is so funny you say that because my dad calls the bathroom my mom's office!!!!

So glad to hear about your love affair with your hubby! Happy anniversary to you both.

Suzanne said...

I LOVE the song. The words are so perfect.
About that office......
very funny.
Congrats on your 10 year anniversary....is Toilet paper the 10 year gift????

Stephanie said...

I love reading your warm and fuzzy thoughts/feelings on your husband. It reminds me that it's possible to make marriage work, and last for a long time, and still feel that way about your spouse. If I gave you back story on me and mine, it'd take up your entire space for comments and then some, so I'll keep it to myself, but I think you and Tom seem really fantastic together. Thank you for sharing. As I said, I needed a reminder.

Gberger said...

I am so happy for you and Tom. It's lovely that you appreciate each other, and still feel that magic together. Happy Anniversary!

Thanks for the link to the song. The TP holder is a scream, right up there with the iPod one. and the home office is best of all. What a guy!
Bless you both.

Me said...

I feel funny gushing about my husband in this way but I just can't help it because that's how I'm feeling inside! So thank you for your comments of support and love because I'm ready for someone to say, GAG ME ALREADY!! Many of my close friends (the majority outside of this blogging circle) will tell you that this has not always been the case for Tom and I and there were some difficult dark days in our marriage, which to a degree is natural after spending over a decade with someone. But when I think back to the person I was during those dark ages, it boggles my mind because I can't (nor do I want to) remember that person. As with all marriages it does take work so it's not like we're going to coast through the next 10 years free of issues, but how I choose to deal with these issues is completely different than how I did it in the past. And that's one giant step in the right direction.

Gberger said...

I have alot of acquaintances who do not seem to realize what a miracle a happy marriage is...a miracle that takes alot of work on both sides. Since I have been through divorce (in my past life), I really appreciate Gregg, and I have had lots of people flip me crap about it. I don't care. I am so thankful to be happy and in love! We, too, have had hard times; if you are married long enough, it seems inevitable. But work at it, and we are best friends. I think you are totally right to enjoy it and treasure it. It's rare, and it's "a gift that keeps on giving."

Stephanie said...

No need to feel funny. What you and Tom have is a blessing. And surely you have both worked hard to keep the magic alive! You're a role model! Honestly. I've had friends go through divorces after a year and two and three years of marriage. You guys have made it 10 years, and it's obvious how much you both love and enjoy each other. It's rare! And special!