Friday, October 17, 2008

Just realized something...


Since 2001, here is an outline of our moves:

1)
2001: moved out of our cockroach filled apartment into our first condo in Chicago.

2) & 3)
2002: Tom gets transferred to Minneapolis. We live in corporate housing for almost 3 months then move into our home.

3) & 4)
2003: Tom gets transferred to S. Cal. We live in a co-workers vacant house in Claremont, CA for 2 months then we move into our townhome in Mission Viejo.

5)
2006: We outgrow the townhome and move into our home, still in Mission Viejo.

6)
2008: Here we are now in Seattle.

No wonder I never feel settled. And to think, we'll be moving AGAIN in less than 6 months. My goal is to live with the MINIMUM and be able to pack up all of our belongings into one small minivan (minus the furniture, and animals, and kitchen stuff).

The sun is peeping through the clouds right now so I am going to head outside and do some organizing in the garage. It's 59 degrees today and it actually feels warmer outside than it does in our house! I had a great morning that I must blog about at some point later today. It involved Wrigley and an old blind woman. Melted my heart!

8 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

You have every right to NOT feel settled. You need to plant some roots for a few years.
Can't wait for the story...."there was a blind woman in a bar and in walked Wrigs" No?

Anonymous said...

Sorry if you've already mentioned this (I'm fairly new to your site--I came here from Karyn's site; I LOVE the Chumley and Beverly flirtation), but where will you be moving to next? I live in Seattle, too, and keep praying for sun for you. I know it's not anywhere near your level of displacement, but it took me months to feel settled in my new apartment after moving from my old one, where I lived for several years. I say enjoy this city while you're here; hopefully you'll feel at home somewhere, someday.

ChiTown Girl said...

SOOOO glad to hear you had a great morning. I can't wait to read about it!

Natalie said...

Thought you might want some help and inspiration to live minimally
unclutterer.com

I get so pumped to slim down my life inventory after reading their posts.

Gberger said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your day. It was sunny up in Pt. Angeles, so the guys got to play LOTS of tennis. David played 3 matches today, and is now at the Homecoming football game. Remember those days?
I didn't know you lived in Claremont. I went to college there. How did you like it? It's such a lovely little town.
Hugs to you and your household!

Laurie Brandriet Keller said...

I'm with you on the getting settled thing. This weekend I am organizing my nice big walk in closet after having lived here 1.5 years and going through a remodel. I have lots to go through, put away, and hand down too. You are sounding more upbeat and I know you have been through lots. Love from the Prairie. xoxo.

Anonymous said...

New to your site.
We used to live in Seattle and it will take time for you to acclimate. We live in Portland now--still rains but a little sunnier. Take Wrigley to Magnuson Park (65th/Sandpoint-if I remember correclty)on Lake Washington. It's a fabulous off-leash/fenced dog park. It's about a mile long and winds down to the lake. One of my favorite things about SEA besides Red Mill.

HWHL said...

Yeah, you guys need to stay put for awhile. Very important to put down roots.
Tell Tom you're over the Bedouin lifestyle.