Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tid bits

Some things I've observed/experienced since living in Seattle for almost 3 weeks:

1) Dogs are pretty much allowed ANYWHERE. Even some cafes and coffee shops! Wrigs has already made a slew of friends and LOVES all the treats he gets. Our local bank has a "Dog Wall" of all the doggy customers. It also has a fireplace going at all times. I like that.

2) Not many places serve decaf drip coffee and if you ask for that prepare to receive looks of shock and horror. It's decaf espresso and that's about it. The regular coffee is WAY too strong for me. I won't expand on this but let's just say it's not something I can drink unless I'm in the comforts of my own home.

3) Seattle drivers are a hell of a lot more courteous than LA/OC drivers. Maybe they are just being nice because I'm usually lost and they take pity on the ditzy blond in the convertible with CA plates going the wrong way down a one way street.

4) Vests that are not filled with down feathers are for decoration only. They DO NOT provide warmth. Realized this fact after my 2nd poly-filled purchase. It's worth it to spend the extra money so one does not freeze.

5) Never attempt to grocery shop after 5pm unless you want to play bumper cars in the cluster f*ck maze Trader Joe's calls a parking garage. And if you happen to park at the bottom of a hill make sure you have a good grip on the cart. Those things have a mind of their own.

6) The restaurants here are amazing. I've yet to have a bad or even mediocre meal. At the rate I'm going none of my jeans will fit me by Christmas.

7) Within seconds of meeting someone, they say, "You're not from here." And what usually gives it away is the fact that I'm dressed in a hat, scarf, gloves and winter coat when it's barely 50 degrees. And even then, depending on the wind... I'm STILL cold!

8) The sunny days are absolutely beautiful and I can understand why people love it here so much. Those not so sunny days are still quite a struggle.

11 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to read such positive things posted here! I've been so very worried about you, my sister :(

Heather M said...

dont worry - the trader joes thing is everywhere, in every town that has one.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are finally starting to settle in. That's great!

I'm sure Wrigs is happy too!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Very funny, all your points are great.
I think you are going to make it work there. you will be cold, but it will just make getting in your house, into your warm fuzzies all the better.
Take care, Suz

Clippy Mat said...

1. Wrigs has a bank account?
2. some brands of coffee are known laxatives. eye of a needle job. yep.
3. blondes DO have more fun.
4. thanks for the fashion tip. i live in Canada. vests are useless unless they come with sleeves and interior moose fur linings.
5. ALWAYS send the servants for the groceries. it's much easier.
6. jeans come in bigger sizes with elasticated waists these days. i think you and your polyester vest will look smashing in them.
7. 50 degrees? i live in Canada etc etc.
8. sunny days? i live in Canada ....

HWHL said...

It sounds like a great town - I'll make it out there eventually - it's on my list of Places To See!

Gina said...

aww im glad your getting used to it and maybe even liking in a bit! :)

Gberger said...

I love your list. It's funny: as I'm reading the last one, I realized I was feeling a bit smug. Perhaps we natives feel a certain pride about the natural beauty here...funny, as it's not like we created it! But that's probably why we think everyone will love it, if they come for a visit in July...and you really must love it, to deal with the gray days. I think it's worth it, but I'm FROM here. Glad that you are "living happier!"

Karyn said...

Laura, order a decaf Americano. I drink regular Americanos... It's espresso with water added to it to make it "American strength." It tastes so much better than drip coffee b/c of the espresso beans.

lizziebelle said...

ok, since i went to school in a dark place where the temp got to -32 degrees, and i had class at 7:45 am, i am telling you, you need one of these

http://www.altrec.com/the-north-face/womens-nuptse-jacket

the puffy down northface jackets. you will look like a marshmellow but they are amazing. bonus points for padding if/when you slip on ice.
xoxoxo

lizziebelle said...

and ditto on the americanos