Sunday, March 01, 2009

sunday bloody sunday


Today, Tom and I decided to do the open house circuit on foot and by that I mean, we wandered around various neighborhoods until the smell of pancakes took a hold of our being. We ended up following the smell to a cute, cozy restaurant, right on Lake Washington. And then, when we saw the sign for $3 bloody mary's??? Stick a fork in us both - we're done. Breakfast was PHENOMENAL. For $5 we feasted on unlimited banana bread, 2 pancakes, 2 eggs and a small side of fruit. Even my burps taste yummy.

We managed to view a few open houses on our my stumbling walk back, one of which we had seen online and were pretty interested in seeing in person. Tom stayed outside with a muddy Wrigs (of course at this point it was raining) so I headed into the house alone. Other than smelling like a chimney it had some potential and I was telling Tom about the pros and cons as we were sizing up the property and the neighborhood. Just then a boy's voice yelled from inside the bushes next door, "YOU have BLONDE HAIR!" We stopped in our tracks, looked around and couldn't find anyone in sight. I started laughing because the voice was like a mini Darth Vader and it was sort of a stupid thing to say. Then the freak yelled back, "STOP LAUGHING AT ME! OR I WILL COME HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU!"

And that is when we decided that perhaps this is NOT the neighborhood for us.

And another thing I have recalled from living in a city again (which goes back to the days of living off of Halsted and Belmont aka Freak Show Central in Chicago), sometimes you just can't say hello, smile or even make eye contact with strangers on the street. Sometimes it's best to just mind your own business, while starting straight ahead, mumbling to yourself. You blend in much better that way.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Freak Show Central fondly. Wishing you every bit the freakiness in the next place you find...

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! That first paragraph about the Bloody Mary's...I laughed out loud!

Busy Bee Suz said...

oh my gosh...I did not know you had BLOND hair. Freak!!!
I will avoid this blog from here one out.
crazy people.

ChiTown Girl said...

I was thinking you guys would fit in so perfectly with the freak show! :)

Gberger said...

This is what Boston was like for me, coming from Seattle in the old days, when the streets here were NOT a freak show. I recall being innocent & friendly, only to have people greet me with hostile suspicion, or yell obscenities while lunging at me, wearing their plastic garbage bags & matted hair. Being 5'1" tall, I was intimidated by that. I'm not a big city-dweller anymore!
I pray that you will find that special place that says "WELCOME HOME" to both of you!

Desert Rat said...

HA I was just going to write the same thing as Karen; I always hated MA because I couldn't walk down the street and smile or say hello to someone because it made ME Weird. Coming from CA, everyone smiles at each other no matter what race or group we are from.
And that crazy little kid ruining the sales for those sellers.

HWHL said...

The breakfast sounds like a winner!
Living next door to a potential Ted Bundy, alas, does not.