Tuesday, February 09, 2010

it's a small small world

I ran into a friend of mine I haven't seen in quite some time. And not so sure I will keep that friend status after our exchange:

friend:
Oh my God. What are you doing here?

me:
I live here now.

friend:
Really? Since when?

me:
About a year and a half now.

friend:
Wow, I never would have pegged you for a Northwest kind of gal.

me:
Yeah, not sure that title fits.

friend:
But, you look great.

me:
Thank you.

(studies me for a bit)
friend:
What happened here? (pointing to the side of my face)

me:
What? Where?

friend:
Right here, you have some mark on your face. Is it a burn?

me:
Oh that? No. It's just a sun spot. It came out like a year after living in Southern Cal.

friend:
So you just keep it there?

me:
Well I had it lasered but every time the sun comes out it sort of reappears again. It's just a pigmentation thing. Not a big deal.

friend:
Really? I'm surprised you wouldn't be more self conscious about it.

me:
Why? Should I be???

friend:
Well I'm just saying. I mean, your face is like a canvas, like a piece of art. And if you have a flaw on it you'd want to take care of that, you know?

me:
I guess I never thought of it that way.

friend:
It's like a car. You drive a nice, shiny, spotless car. All of the sudden, it gets rear ended. Do you just live with the bumper smashed in? Or do you take it to the shop and get it fixed??

me:
So you're comparing my face to a smashed in bumper???

friend:
NO!! It's an analogy, you know what I mean. I'm just saying, something without flaws should be kept that way.

me:
I'll keep that in mind.

friend:
I really didn't mean to offend you.

me:
No offense taken.

friend:
You have my number still? Stay in touch?

me:
Sure. I'll call you when I get my spot removed, you know, so I don't embarrass you in public.

friend:
You know that's not what I meant.

me:
Of course not.

friend:
So you'll stay in touch?

me:
(about to burst into laughter)
Probably not.

friend:
Seriously? You're being so sensitive.

me:
No. Just honest.

CAN WE SAY LIBERATING!?!?!?!

22 comments:

keepmovingforward said...

whoo hoo!! good for you!!!!

ChiTown Girl said...

How did you not give her a "BYFFI!" on the way out?

J-Mom said...

OMG! I love this exchange and I love your response! Way to go!

Me said...

thanks peeps! It was a him, not a her. But still, who says sh*t like that???

Gberger said...

Are you making this up? This sounds like dialogue from Will & Grace.
Where's that red button when you need it? BEEEEEEP! and away he goes!

Me said...

LOL Karen! I wish! But I will find some way to filter this into my screenplay. People never cease to amaze me. There is great material all around us.

Leslie said...

Toxic people to just go AWAY! Good for you for speaking your mind! Reading your post was liberating for me!

Cassandra said...

Good for you! Very inspiring. And I wish my face were as flawed as yours :)

ChiTown Girl said...

OMFG! Now that I know it was a MAN, I reread it from a whole different angle. What an enormous ASSBAG!! You really should have BHFFI!!!

Najia said...

Awesome comebacks, good for you! I'm glad you stuck to your guns, and your pretty sunspot!

Sarah @ barefaced approach said...

This is seriously fantastic! I loved your blog before but I can honestly say I am a HUGE fan now. I just wrote a post not too long ago about this same thing. Who do people think they are? I think you handled it beautifully! Oh and you rock out that sun spot! :D

Me said...

LOL! Rock out with that sun spot!! That should be my new motto. Ok I hate to admit this but today I went to Nordstrom and tried a bunch of different concealers for that damn spot! I don't know if it was subconsciously because of this or what but now I'm noticing it more too! Anyway, I didn't buy anything just played around with some of the new things out there and really nothing works to conceal it.

Thanks for your support my fellow liberated friends!! Feels good doesn't it!?!?

Maggie said...

Good for you!!!

Maggie said...

ok, I read it again. What a dick...I realize he was trying to compliment you by saying you're beautiful and flawless but boy oh boy he should have taken a different route...

J-Mom said...

You know - sun spots are like laugh lines. I see laugh lines/wrinkles as reminders that I've lived and laughed a lot, and sun spots, as reminders that I enjoyed the beautiful weather and reveled in its warmth! So, don't cover them up! You're a California girl at heart! :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting article as for me. It would be great to read more concerning this topic. Thank you for sharing that material.

keltban said...

Such a great response...People really need to think before they speak sometimes. I swear some people don't have any manners.

stephanie said...

That wanker deserves a sucker-punch. Pity the poor guy/woman who ends up with him. I live in Sydney and have so many sunspots you can connect the dots and refuse to waste money on laser as they come right back.

Anonymous said...

If it was a man that said it...well, is there really anything more to say??

I have a sun spot on my face too..we can be freaks together :)

Tracey Axnick said...

You go girl! What a smarmy little snipe he was!

Catherine said...

LOVE IT!! Go girl! And don't you worry about sun spots, we all have them! :)

Angie Muresan said...

Hahaha! I love this! Liberating indeed! Good for you!