Wednesday, April 27, 2011

milks

I haven't been updating on here much, not for lack of things to say but I just have not been able to find solitude long enough to sit and recap all that has taken place over the last month or so. And quite frankly, I don't have the energy to do so. Instead I'll just with what's on my mind right now.

My lovely digestive issues have finally done me in. It has become a debilitating lifestyle and one that is just not as simple as eating better.  For the past 3 days I've eliminated all dairy, most wheat, and processed (or refined) sugar from my diet. It has NOT been easy. But I'm doing this in preparation for a 28 day cleanse to completely rid my body of toxins and then slowly re-introduce certain food groups to see what is triggering these "episodes". I will still be able to eat some solid foods on this cleanse and will also be drinking a couple of protein shakes daily with extra fats to maintain weight, nutrition and energy levels. But for 28 days my diet will be extremely limited, and I will not be able to have any caffeine (KILL ME NOW) or alcohol (which is easier to give up than caffeine!) but in order to do this successfully I need to stick to it. Even after these 3 days of eliminating dairy, and cutting way back on wheat and sugar I'm already feeling better.

I'm substituting a few different kinds of dairy free milks and what I have found is that this kind, Pure Almond by Silk, tastes ok but after about a half hour of drinking it, I get EXTREMELY nauseous. Don't know why this is, I don't have an allergy to almonds but for some reason this does not agree with me. And it's the kind of nausea that lingers and does not go away when you try to lay down and be still. I won't be buying this again.



But on the flip side, I have tried these other milks, Vanilla flavored Rice Milk and Coconut Milk and both are very good on their own or even mixed together. I'm not sure how they would be in cereal since I don't eat cereal anymore but these milks are delicious shaken and poured over a tall glass of ice. I also like to drink them with a straw, for some reason it just tastes better. And I make my morning iced green tea lattes with them. 



I'll probably start updating more on here once I officially start the cleanse because I feel this would be a good place to log my progress. We'll see how that goes! Hope you all are well and your tummies are settled. 

xoxo

1 comment:

ChiTown Girl said...

I hope you're finally able to pinpoint what the hell bothers your system so much. I can't imagine what a pain all of this has been.